Program of the Doula training Utrecht (The Netherlands)
The programm consists of 19 days of theory, practical lessons and exchange of personal experiences. The programme contains 10 modules:
1. Obstetrics/midwifery: Some basic knowledge.
2. Getting acquainted with each other and the Doula program. This module also offers some basic communication skills
3. Getting acquainted with the client, the birth plan and relevant communication techniques.
4. The beginning of the childbirth.
5. Practical exercises: positions, breathing, relaxation, massage, Rebozo techniques, covater-pressure, pelvic floor, emotional support of the mother and her partner, support during prolonged labour and functional and physical support during the second and third stage of giving birth.
6. The specific role of the Doula in the hospital and the writing of the childbirth report.
7. The Doula as a partner of the (medical) birth team
8. Building a Doula practice; some practical information about finding clients, law and taxes.
9. Traineeship: During the traineeship Doula’s need to give support to three clients during pregnancy, birth and during the post-partum period (one visit and handing over the report of the childbirth). Doula’s also need to have experience with a natural birth at home, in a birth centre or in a hospital under attendance of a midwife, and with a hospital birth with an obstetrician.
10. Exams: During the exam the Doula is given a specific case. The Doula will be questioned about this situation and will be asked to discuss the important aspects of the case. The internships are also a part of the exam and need to be sufficient.
Contact person: Dora Kroon